Wednesday 3 July 2013

Window Box Tutorial and a Card for Sue

My friend Sue, aka Bearhouse, was the first person I ever swapped a card with and we've been swapping birthday and Christmas cards ever since. She's been a good friend to me and I wanted to make her a special card this year. I know she liked it and I thought I'd share it with you. The brick background uses the technique I detailed yesterday in my "Tuesday Technique" post.
 
"Sue's Birthday Card"

I came up with this idea for a window box to fit the Chateau Gate windows and thought you might like to see it. You can easily resize the window box to fit any window by cutting the piece of card wider at the start.


1. Start with a piece of strong (300gsm) card 10.2cm (4") x 8cm (3 1/8").


2. Use a scoreboard to score lines at 0.5cm and 2cm from each side.


3. Score lines at 1.5cm and 3cm from the bottom edge.


4. Use the score lines as a guide to cut out two tabs (see photo).



5. Use a labels die to make a decorative top edge (I use Spellbinders Labels 1 or decorative labels 1 but you can use whatever you have). Because we are using thick card, it may need a couple of passes through the machine.



6. You can make the box any height by cutting at a different place, but it should be at least 1.5cm from the horizontal score line since the rest of the box will be 1.5cm deep.



7. Fold and go over all the crease lines with a scoring tool.


8. Fold up and glue the two little tabs to the back of the front panel.





9. Cut a piece of florist's foam 1.5cm x 1cm x 6cm and fit into the box. I found a big block of this stuff on sale at Dunelm Mill for 79p.


10. It's all ready to insert your flowers. :-)

"Flowers"
 
11. Just push the flowers into the foam in the window box once you've finished the rest of your card.
 
Entered for the following challenges:
Simon Says Stamp and Show - Anything Goes
Bearly Mine Challenges - Anything Goes
Inky Chicks - Anything Goes
Loves Rubberstamps - Anything Goes
A Little Bit Crafty - Die-ing for it
Papertake Weekly - Anything Goes

18 comments:

  1. Girl, you are crazy creative! I love your card and your window box! That die cut is beautiful and such a lovely edging for your delicate window box. Such lovely dimensional flowers in such a gorgeous "metallic" window box sitting in front of such a gorgeous "metallic" window. This is such a lovely card and I'm sure your friend, Sue will love it. I WOULD!!! :) Thanks so much for sharing your card with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maddy, what an amazing gift you have given Sue, she will be blown away by it, love the textures, its fab, Fi xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you again Maddy, it really is stunning and VERY special. I still have it standing next to me here on my shelf where it will always be. I wondered how you made the window box, may give that a try myself.
    We have had sunshine and showers today, the forecast is looking good though. I hope you get some nice weather too.
    take care
    hugs Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful card and great tutorial for the window box-very late hopping
    carol x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card love the window box.
    Thank you for sharing with us at Bearly Mine Challenge.
    Hugs Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely creation, thanks for playing at PTW! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks good, will bookmark it. Thanks. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a fabulous card, beautiful flowers.
    Thank you for joining us at Bearly Mine Designs this week.
    Pauline
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tutorial, lovely window basket. Thank you for playing along with us at ALBC & good luck. Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW!!!! This is so amazing! You flower box is genius! I so appreciate your tutorial as well! Love that you made a decorative border for it too...really makes it even more beautiful! Great brick background as well! Thank you for sharing your wonderful work with us here at Simon Says Stamp & Show!

    ReplyDelete
  11. stunning it's no wonder your friend sue liked.thank you for the flower box tutorial. sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maddy this is fantastic and such clear instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I so like this card and that flower box is so clever, thanks for sharing the instructions

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a cool idea to make you're own flower box! Great step by step too. Stunning window card! Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so very, very clever, love the idea of it!! The step by step is brilliant and congrats on a well deserved spotlight at SSSS!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this!!!! What a really amazing flower box idea! I'm going to pin this to Pinterest as soon as I finish telling you how wonderful this card is. Congrats on your spotlight at Simon Says Stamp and Show! -- Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment, it's nice to know I'm not just talking to myself :)