Thursday 15 May 2014

A Salt Pot

Entered for the following challenge:
2 Creative Chicks - food container

Whenever I think of salt, it reminds me of my Nan. If even the tiniest bit of salt was ever spilt, we had to draw a cross in it and throw a piece over our left shoulder to "hit the devil in the face". It was bad luck to spill salt. It was also bad luck to walk under ladders, put your shoes on the table, put an umbrella up indoors, take your clothes off to turn them the right way if you had put something on inside-out, turn back if you'd started your journey and forgotten something, etc. etc. But she always maintained "I'm not superstitious" lol! If you know Terry Pratchett's writing, you can think of my Nan as a cross between Nanny Ogg and Granny Weatherwax. In fact, I swear Terry Pratchett must have based the characters in his books on half the people who lived in my Nan's road when I was a kid. There was even a "Nobby Nobs"! So, bearing in mind that salt is not to be wasted, how about recycling the salt packaging to make this...


"Paintbrush Pot"

OK, I admit, it's not my best work, but it was free :-) Well sort of, if you don't count the money I spent on the pretty papers...

"Empty salt pot"

This is the type of salt container that I started with. Just get someone to cut the top off and make a nice neat job...


...a good pair of scissors should be all that is needed.



Cover the outside and inside with patterned papers and cover up the join with some hessian ribbon before adding some flower trim. Keep the decoration fairly simple if you want to be able to use the pot!!

4 comments:

  1. Love the way you altered it Especially the inside
    Cheers
    Dr Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fabulous idea, great altered box.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful container to keep your paint brushes in!
    Thanks for linking up over at 2 Creative Chicks

    Have a creative day.
    Pam
    ♥ Scrap N Sew Granny ♥
    ♥ Pam's Stitched With Love ♥



    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment, it's nice to know I'm not just talking to myself :)