Tuesday 29 April 2014

Tuesday Technique - Faux Marbling with Distress Ink and Clingfilm

I came across this technique in an old magazine and adapted it for use with distress inks. The finished effect is very subtle and great for backgrounds.

"Faux Marbling"


Here's what you need (plus clingfilm, I forgot to take a photo of that lol!):

 
"Distress reinkers, misters and Perfect pearls"

1. Fill the misters with water, then add a dropper full of ink and a spatula of Perfect Pearls to each of the misters. Put the cap on and shake well.  I used Bundled Sage ink + green Perfect Pearls, Tumbled Glass ink + blue Perfect Pearls, and Spun Sugar Ink + white Perfect Pearls.

 
"White Card"

2. Lay some white card flat over a non-stick surface and spray all over with clean water. I used 160gsm white smooth card.


3. Spray blue ink in patches on the wet card. You want the ink to puddle.
 

4. Add patches of pink ink.


5. Add patches of green ink. Make sure the whole card is wet and puddling with ink.


6. Tear a piece of clingfilm off the roll and cover the wet, inked card completely, leaving wrinkles.

 

7. Move the clingfilm and wrinkles around until you get smaller wrinkles, or however you want the effect to appear. then turn the whole thing over and leave it to dry with the clingfilm in place. Turning it upside-down helps it dry quicker. I left mine overnight...

 

8. So here's the finished background with the clingfilm removed. Subtle, but fun! When you get to this stage, you can add stamping, diecutting, whatever you like. I diecut mine...


You'll have to wait to Sunday to find out what I did next though, I used these on my Stamping Sensations card this month :-)

Oh, before I go, here's a tip for you. If you have one of the larger diecutting machines, you can cut four of the vintage cabinet diecuts from an A4 sheet of card ...


3 comments:

  1. Wow brilliant idea will have to have a go at this. Thanks for the tutorial. Love Alison xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial Maddy thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment, it's nice to know I'm not just talking to myself :)