Thursday 3 January 2013

I Must Down to The Seas Again...


I grew up near the sea and sometimes I have an overwhelming urge to see it, to smell the air, to hear the seagulls or the wind in the masts of the sloops and ketches and to feel the pebbles under my feet (or my bottom!). I couldn't resist the stamp set from Chocolate Baroque with part of the "Sea Fever" poem, it speaks of the same urge.


"I Must Down to the Seas Again..."
 
The background is made by swooshing card into various distress inks on a non-stick craft sheet to get the effect of sunlight on water. I stamped the verse from the poem using jet black archival ink and heat-embossed in clear to help it stand out. The embossing gives the text a shiny effect which also looks wet so goes with the theme. The frame is cut from a Graphics Fairy graphic and the aperture filled with acetate, then the frame is stuck over the poem and embellishments with foam tape to raise it up. This allows for some fairly bulky embellishments to be placed beneath the acetate, and you can also turn it into a shaker card by throwing in a few seed beads before sealing the tape.
 
"Close-up"
 
I do like those funky-looking fish on the vintage image!
 

Sea-Fever


I  must down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face and a grey dawn breaking.

I must down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must down to the seas again to the vagrant gypsy life.
To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.

John Masefield 1878 - 1967 from "Salt Water Poems and Ballads"

Ingredients:
Chocolate Baroque stamp set: Seashore collection
free image from the Graphics Fairy
Seashore embellishments from Craftime
seedbeads
distress inks
archival ink: jet black
Stampendous embossing powder, clear detail
cardstock: white 300gsm
clear acetate
adhesives: foam tape, pinflair

Entered for the following challenge:
Simon Says Stamp and Show...No Rules


  
 
  
 
  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

6 comments:

  1. This is stunning Maddy. You have really captured the atmosphere of the sea. The way you have created the background looks amazing and I love the frame and all the detailing. That is such a wonderful poem too.
    I wish I could magically transport you to my house, I am so lucky to live within walking distance of the sea. I never tire of it.
    Take care
    Hugs Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very fine. I also like the poem about the sea. Looking forward to follow and to be inspired by you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maddy...your piece is absolutely beautiful! I can really feel your urge to go back to the sea in this piece. Your underwater scene is so lovely. Your mermaid fantastic! The poem is the perfect compliment! Love it all! Thanks for sharing it with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning card. The color palette is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't grow up by the sea but we spent every summer on the Isle of Wight and my father was an avid sailor so I feel much the same as you about the sights and sounds, especially the tinkle-clunk of rigging! Your creation is beautiful, especially with Sea Fever. (I read it at my father's funeral.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic work of art! Love all the detail. You are very talented.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment, it's nice to know I'm not just talking to myself :)